Saturday, April 08, 2006

Library nutcase

Yesterday, one of our weirder patrons came up to the desk and asked me for a screwdriver. I asked him why, of course, and he said, "To take something off the paper cutter." I was incredulous. How did he get our paper cutter and why did he want to take it apart?? Anyway, he said he wanted to take off the little bar that goes across it because it was in his way. I told him no. Apparently he was using it to cut cardboard into squares. I still don't know who let him use it.

Today, he wanted to borrow it again while I was at lunch. When the reference staff wouldn't let him have it, he called the police! I can't imagine why he thought that would do any good (It didn't). The man is clearly insane. He calls himself "Pastor Larry," even though he has no church. For a while, he was giving out the library's phone number and telling people he had an office here, but we put a stop to that. He also went through a phase where he tried to get some of the staff fired (he failed), and even tried to write to the governor to ask for keys to the library so that he could come in and run it properly. He's been pretty quiet for the past several months, until this incident, and spends most of his time typing words from a concordance, in large font, all caps, one per line, in alphabetical order. No definitions or references, just words. Weird.

3 comments:

kender said...

I am loving your blog, Debbie.

These tales of the library are amazing. It never occured to me the kind of people you might have to deal with in that job.

I will be linking you teh next time I revamp links.....thanks.

kender said...

BTW, see ya at Koroneburg.

Debbie said...

Thanks, Kender, I'll link to you too. I hope I can make it to Koroneburg more than once this year.