Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Bookmobile

I work the reference desk on Mondays, most Fridays, some Saturdays, and Tues. - Thurs. afternoons. The rest of the time I run a special bookmobile for preschoolers and their families. I used to work only on the bookmobile, but when the grant money ran out I had to spend at least half my time working at the branch. I prefer the bookmobile to the reference desk - the children are so innocent and eager to learn at that age, and, because I park the bus at subsidized preschools where I can reach the underprivileged families, the parents are generally grateful to me for bringing the library to them. I don't charge fines as long as I get the materials back, and I bend the rules to get them a library card. Sometimes I feel schizophrenic - I have to follow a different set of rules at the branch.

Yesterday, I redecorated the bookmobile with flowers, bunnies, and baby animals, even though it doesn't really feel like spring. The wind was blowing like crazy - it was really rocking the bus. Surprisingly, it's not hard to drive in the wind, even though it's nearly the size of a school bus. I just have to keep the speed down.

Today, my friend Anita accompanied me on the bookmobile to one of the Head Start preschools to assist me with a RIF book giveaway. Last month when I distributed the books, it was a total madhouse. About 150 people visited the bookmobile in 2 hours. One of the patrons alerted me to the fact that some of my library books had been taken off the shelves. I got a few back, but couldn't leave the bus to chase after the rest. When I told Anita about it over a cup of tea at her house the next evening, she volunteered to help me the next time I went there. Anyway, yesterday's wind brought in rain and hail today, which kept the crowd down to a more reasonable size. That, combined with Anita's help, made things much easier. I think I'll invite her again next time I go there.

I'm coming down with a cold - sniff. I think I'll go to bed now :~{

No comments: