Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Excuse me while I rant ...

...but I gotta!

Last night, one of our crazy old coots, who I thought had moved away, showed up to use the computer. He had been on the computer earlier in the afternoon, and we have a policy of one computer session per day. He complained that the computer wouldn't let him on, and wanted me to "fix it." I told him he had already had his turn for the day. He kept arguing with me that he hadn't used his full hour, that there were computers available, the "other girls" let him on more than once, etc. I will usually bend the rules for someone if they really need to use it again and they didn't know the rules, and if they're polite about it, but none of these applied to him, especially the polite part. He asked me if I wanted his name so I could "turn him in" for trying to use the computer twice, and I told him we already knew his name. He walked away, then came back and asked if I knew his name because he had complained about me before (for basically the same thing). Anyway, he finally gave up and left.

Today, when I came back from the bookmobile, I saw him again, sitting at a computer. Fortunately, he didn't speak to me - he just walked up to the printer behind me and started drumming his fingers on the desk. I ignored him and continued working, but someone else came up and helped him. I would have printed his pages out if he had asked, but I wasn't going to reward rude behavior. I was so relieved when he left after getting his papers.

No comments: