Wednesday, March 29, 2006

They think we know everything

I work in a public library in a medium-sized town. I'm amazed sometimes at the things people think we can get or do for them. They're convinced we have supreme knowledge and resources. Last night, just before I left the library, I spent half an hour looking for an overhaul manual for a military jet engine. Not something you would normally find in a suburban public library. Barnes and Noble didn't have it either. He could have ordered it online for about $180.00, but he wanted it now.

Some other questions I've been asked:

"Can you get the blueprints for my house?" (Some people think everything's on the internet.)
"How do I fill out these tax forms?" (We're not even supposed to tell them which forms they need.)
"I have these microscopic worms all over my body. Can you tell me what they are?" (He drew me a picture - ugh! I didn't even want to be in the same building with the guy, but he wouldn't go away and kept coming back to library asking for me by name.)
"Is this the police station?" (Huh?!?)

I guess I should feel honored that people actually think I know so much, but mostly I'm concerned about the incredible ignorance that seems to be rampant these days.

2 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

Ignorance is rampant like the plague these days, but it's sad and vaguely ironic that it's also all over the library. Aren't we supposed to be there to learn something?

Debbie said...

When I was first hired at the library, I thought, "Oh cool. I'll be working in a nice quiet place helping people who like to read and study." Boy, was I wrong. The smart people don't come to the desk for help very often - they don't need help. Instead, most of the questions I get revolve around the internet computers. I was interrupted three times for computer problems in the short time it has taken me to post this comment.