Thursday, December 30, 2004

Trip to Hawai'i, part 2

On the 22nd of Dec. my dad took us to Hilo via the saddle road. I wasn't impressed with the road or the scenery, which was mostly lava. It got better as we neared Hilo, where I went to a yarn shop to look for the yarn I needed to finish a project I've been working on. I was amazed to find the same brand of yarn there - it's rather unusual. We ate lunch at Pizza Hut, then drove to Rainbow Falls, where we climbed a banyan tree. It was huge! It took a while to get my family out of the tree so we could continue on to Boiling Pots and Pe'epe'e Falls just up the road. We climbed down a steep rocky trail to the river, where we met a local boy who was diving into the pools. He showed the kids around while Brian and I explored upriver. When we came back, we were met by the boy, who told us that Rachel had broken her toe. Brian and Jacob helped her up the trail, and we spent the next hour-and-a-half at Kaiser while they x-rayed her and patched her up.

We hurried back to Waikoloa, where my dad lives, because we were expecting guests for dinner. My dad's neighbor, Greg, is a guitarist and singer, and frequently comes over for jam sessions with my dad, who plays mandolin, guitar, and banjo, among other instruments. I had my uke, Brian had his flute, Jacob played guitar and piano, and we all sang and had a great time.

No comments: